Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Memory Games


It has been brought to my attention that my knowledge of random facts is actually, very random and this blog is indeed, also very random. I haven't the slightest idea what the numbers are past 3.14 when speaking about pi (or why it is even THAT important) or if the ocean is a reflection of the sky or visa versa, but I can tell you off hand there are about 1,500 active volcanoes on land in the world....here I am inside of one.....


Mount Etna, Sicily

......I can tell you the dot in a lower case "i" or "j" is called a tittle...I also know that everyone has a different "tongue print"-kind of  like a fingerprint, only more saliva-ier, and that every continent name begins and ends with the same letter, (north and south don't count) AmericA, AfricA, EuropE, AsiA, AntarticA, AustraliA (but that isn't really random as it is pretty obvious...)

Why do I know many random facts that most people don't care about? Because my  brain decides to store all this information that I don't need instead of the actual important information I do need (like class lectures on some Italian author who's name starts with a C and contains a "gli"). Also during class lectures, my mind decides to focus on only the "really interesting or random and minute details that aren’t important" type stuff but not on the "important information and concepts that it will be on a test" type stuff. Confused? Yeah, me too. (I also blame Google)

For example, today in Italian Lit we talked about Machiavelli, that author who's name starts with a C and contains a "gli", and the Medici Family. I do find the Medici family truly fascinating but the only thing I can remember from class today is the word "Sprezzatura" and trying to form an concrete definition and that according to Machiavelli, a person should not dance with someone out of their league. Not really that important (if you read this, sorry Professoressa...I appreciate your class and all you put into it...).

It can be frustrating at times but hey, if I ever get on Jeopardy...I might have a chance...


Good night or happy day wherever you are.

5 comments:

  1. Which is why we are NEVER bored at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3.141592653 <- From memory. Boom. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice! but what exactly do we use pi for anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy (read: short) answer? It has a lot to do with math and circles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which is why pi is called pie. It's a circle?

    ReplyDelete